Biggest Issue with D - Definition and Versioning

Daniel Murphy yebblies at nospamgmail.com
Sun Jan 15 06:26:45 PST 2012

"Michel Fortin" <michel.fortin at michelf.com> wrote in message
news:jetbld$23qt$1 at digitalmars.com...
> Looks good in theory, but in practice this approach hasn't worked very
> well for pull request number 3.

I may have mentioned this before, but there are a couple of things that make
me think pull 3 shouldn't be merged as is. (Even if it was made merge-ready)

1. The patch tries (and in some places, doesn't try) to match implicit
conversion and template deduction behaviour for pointers and arrays which
are badly defined and in some cases don't make any sense.  I'd prefer to get
those sorted out before adding a third referencey TypeNext to dmd.

2. The addition of head() means a huge amount of changes that aren't really
necessary.  Most of the changes are insertions of calls to this function,
which introduces quite a bit of mess and potential for easy bugs if someone
forgets to use it.

I don't know if Walter has a similar list of reservations he's keeping to
himself, or just hasn't gotten around to it yet.  Hopefully I'll find some
time to work on these issues (or somebody else will).