Biggest Issue with D - Definition and Versioning

Michel Fortin michel.fortin at michelf.com
Sun Jan 15 07:04:43 PST 2012

On 2012-01-15 14:26:45 +0000, "Daniel Murphy" <yebblies at nospamgmail.com> said:

> I may have mentioned this before, but there are a couple of things that make
> me think pull 3 shouldn't be merged as is. (Even if it was made merge-ready)
>
> 1. The patch tries (and in some places, doesn't try) to match implicit
> conversion and template deduction behaviour for pointers and arrays which
> are badly defined and in some cases don't make any sense.  I'd prefer to get
> those sorted out before adding a third referencey TypeNext to dmd.
>
> 2. The addition of head() means a huge amount of changes that aren't really
> necessary.  Most of the changes are insertions of calls to this function,
> which introduces quite a bit of mess and potential for easy bugs if someone
> forgets to use it.
>
> I don't know if Walter has a similar list of reservations he's keeping to
> himself, or just hasn't gotten around to it yet.  Hopefully I'll find some
> time to work on these issues (or somebody else will).

Great points. You should post them in the pull request, which is the
right place to discuss them (especially the second one, since you
already sort-of commented on the first issue by annotating the test
cases).

Also, if Walter has similar reservations, I hope he'd write them in a
pull request comment. Negative feedback is much better than no feedback
at all, because with no feedback there is nothing anyone can do to
improve things.

--
Michel Fortin
michel.fortin at michelf.com