Biggest Issue with D - Definition and Versioning

Nick Sabalausky a at a.a
Sun Jan 15 12:57:27 PST 2012

"Andrei Alexandrescu" <SeeWebsiteForEmail at erdani.org> wrote in message
news:jetha2$2csv$1 at digitalmars.com...

> 2. We haven't identified game designers as a core market, and one that's
> more important than e.g. general purpose programmers who need the like of
> working qualifiers, multithreading, and shared libraries.

I have to strongly take issue with this one. Let's take a look at what D
intends to be:

A multi-paradigm, natively-compiled, systems language that's designed as a
reimagined C++, and is better at high-level than C++, and goes every bit as
low-level as C++.

How the fuck does that *not* implicitly say "game dev" already?

Hell, it's already *more* of a gamedev langauge than a "general purpose
programmers" langauge anyway: General purpose programmers *already* have
fucking billions of VM and interpreted langauges that most of them are
perfectly happy with. What the hell do game devs have besides D? Umm,
C++...*sort of* C# (which isn't nearly as good at gamedev as D
anyway)...and, oh yea, that's it! If it weren't the the prospect of gamedev,
I never would have even gotten into D in the first place.

It doesn't matter if *you've* identified game dev as a market you care
about: D *is already* a gamedev language. And gamedev is already an *ideal*
audience for D to target.

(And like other have mentioned: Derelict - a game oriented library - is one
of the *oldest* still-alive D libs out there.)