Biggest Issue with D - Definition and Versioning

Nick Sabalausky a at a.a
Sun Jan 15 21:01:38 PST 2012

"Alex Rønne Petersen" <xtzgzorex at gmail.com> wrote in message
news:jevgk4$2nq3$1 at digitalmars.com...
> On 15-01-2012 21:57, Nick Sabalausky wrote:
>> "Andrei Alexandrescu"<SeeWebsiteForEmail at erdani.org>  wrote in message
>> news:jetha2$2csv$1 at digitalmars.com...
>>>
>>> 2. We haven't identified game designers as a core market, and one that's
>>> more important than e.g. general purpose programmers who need the like
>>> of
>>> working qualifiers, multithreading, and shared libraries.
>>>

>> I have to strongly take issue with this one. Let's take a look at what D
>> intends to be:
>>
>> A multi-paradigm, natively-compiled, systems language that's designed as
>> reimagined C++, and is better at high-level than C++, and goes every bit
>> as
>> low-level as C++.
>>
>> How the fuck does that *not* implicitly say "game dev" already?
>>
>> Hell, it's already *more* of a gamedev langauge than a "general purpose
>> programmers" langauge anyway: General purpose programmers *already* have
>> fucking billions of VM and interpreted langauges that most of them are
>> perfectly happy with. What the hell do game devs have besides D? Umm,
>> C++...*sort of* C# (which isn't nearly as good at gamedev as D
>> anyway)...and, oh yea, that's it! If it weren't the the prospect of
>> gamedev,
>> I never would have even gotten into D in the first place.
>>
>> It doesn't matter if *you've* identified game dev as a market you care
>> about: D *is already* a gamedev language. And gamedev is already an
>> *ideal*
>> audience for D to target.
>>
>> (And like other have mentioned: Derelict - a game oriented library - is
>> one
>> of the *oldest* still-alive D libs out there.)
>>

> .
> And yet, D's situation on Windows, the main gaming platform, is less than
> ideal. If we're really going to cater to game devs, we need to fix the
> entire Windows situation long before adding SIMD, IMHO.
>
> That being said, I do agree that D is a great language for game dev. It's
> really just the Windows tool chain that's in a rather bad state.

I'm on windows, and I think it's good enough. Yes, it *is* definitely a
problem for new D users, but all the OMF/COFF stuff *does* have viable
workarounds, so it's not exactly a dealbreaking issue.