Biggest Issue with D - Definition and Versioning

Russel Winder russel at russel.org.uk
Mon Jan 16 02:07:41 PST 2012

On Mon, 2012-01-16 at 09:03 +0100, Gour wrote:
[...]
> Then it would be nice if the gamedev industry could identify D as
> gamedev language as well and pour some $s, €s...to support/speed up
> development, but I wonder why it does not happen. ;)

<devils-advocate>
The games industry works with C, C++, assembly language, Python and Lua.
They have serious toolchains for working with serious graphics and
modeling libraries.  The last thing they need is a new, incomplete,
poorly resourced, one-man-band implementation programming language with
very few programmers, and no experience of being used in this arena.

Existing games company executives would be labelled as suicidal to
switch from the current toolchains to the lack of toolchain
infrastructure that is D.  Thus D has no chance of any traction in that
arena unless it can show a huge decrease in time to market, and massive
increase in quality of game (gameplay management, speed of rendering,
etc.) -- not just theoretically, but actually.

Working with Visual Studio is the only route to Windows market.  This
means working in harmony with the C and C++ toolchains.

In the current climate D has no chance in the game industry.
</devils-advocate>

On the constructive front, what D needs is a few startups to use it and
be successful.  The only way to get traction and create success in the
current state of the world is to already have success.  The way of
getting that is to have people who have nothing to lose and everything
to gain, even if they have no money, use it to create successful systems
and promulgate a culture of success.

Any system and community that doubts itself won't be taken seriously.
Any system and community that gets too introverted and/or arrogant is
doomed.  cf. Ruby, Scala, ...

Fortran is a special case.

--
Russel.