Biggest Issue with D - Definition and Versioning

Paulo Pinto pjmlp at progtools.org
Mon Jan 16 05:29:40 PST 2012

According to the latest issue from the German games developer magazine,
most people only buy one to two AAA games per year. Spending much more
money in casual games.

As such, what AAA studios use, is to some extent irrelevant. As only a few
studios
worldwide are able to produce AAA games.

For example, there are several game studios in Hamburg and Berlin that are
quite
happy selling games that are Flash based with a J2EE/.NET solution for the
game server.

--
Paulo

"Peter Alexander"  wrote in message news:jf17uj$2tfk$1 at digitalmars.com...

== Quote from Paulo Pinto (pjmlp at progtools.org)'s article
> With smaller startups moving to Unity/C#, XNA for XBox
360/Windows/WP7 and
> Sony now
> supporting Mono/C# as the main development environment for the VITA
and
> PlaySuite, it
> might already be too late for D in the gaming world.
> There are already quite a few iPhone major game titles that are
actually
> developed with Unity.
> But I am an outsider, here the other members with game industry
experience
> like Manu might
> explain better the situation.

Some people are indeed moving to C#, but the vast majority of
professional AAA games are still written in C or C++.

Also, a reason a lot of people move to C# is due to how painful it is
to develop in C++. D isn't so painful, so there's an opportunity to
steal some of the C# game programmers.