version()

Steven Schveighoffer schveiguy at yahoo.com
Mon Jan 16 08:52:31 PST 2012

On Sun, 15 Jan 2012 19:16:03 -0500, Manu <turkeyman at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 16 January 2012 02:08, Jonathan M Davis <jmdavisProg at gmx.com> wrote:
>
>> On Monday, January 16, 2012 01:44:56 Manu wrote:
>> > Surely basic logical expressions within a version seem not only
>> logical,
>> > but also very necessary?
>> > There must be a reason this is impossible, or else I can't believe
>> it's
>> not
>> > already like that...
>>
>> People have requested it. Walter is against it. I don't remember his
>> exact
>> arguments, but he believes that it leads to worse code if you allow it.
>>

> Insanity, I argue the exact opposite. My code is WORSE for those 9
> completely useless lines. Any sane person would look at that and wonder
> WTF... especially someone new to the language.
> Imagine my expression was something more complex: version( A || (B && C)
> )
> ... the munging code would double in size.

I agree with you that version || version is difficult to work around in
the current system.

Searching through the archives, here is the most animated Walter had been
on defending the current version system.  It gives you an idea of his
reasonings (and how most of us disagree with at least this part of it):

http://dfeed.kimsufi.thecybershadow.net/discussion/thread/gmrocl$1fk7$1@digitalmars.com

There are some other threads in response to that thread if you search
around that time (I hate how the NG sometimes splits up a thread into
multiple threads).

OT:
BTW, Vladimir, one thing I *do* miss from webnews is there is an id
associated with each post (you can see it in the headers of the post) it
looks like this in opera:

Where NNNNN is an id.  If I use opera to search for a message (instant
search, very nice), then I want to post a link to that archived message, I
used to be able to do it in webnews via this id.  i.e.:

http://www.digitalmars.com/webnews/newsgroups.php?art_group=digitalmars.D&article_id=NNNNN

It would be *awesome* to have a text box to just type that number into on
your web site and pull up the message.  It also would be better to be able
to jump to a specific date for posts (i.e. i know the above post was on
Feb 10, 2009) rather than the current way I do it, which is:

Go to page 2 of posts.
Edit "2" in url, change to something large like 500.
See if I'm close to the date, re-adjust using human-assisted binary search
to find the right page :)

Is there a place to file enhancements for the code?

-Steve