Biggest Issue with D - Definition and Versioning

Kiith-Sa 42 at theanswer.com
Mon Jan 16 13:02:30 PST 2012

A:
1 -
I think we're getting close to that point. I do encounter compiler bugs
from time to time, but the frequency is rapidly decreasing with the recent
releases. We already have the "Easier to code" and "Decent performance"
parts, but there's a lot of room to improve (standard build system, package
manager, better Phobos, better GC or better noGC options).

2 -
This is a problem and it probably will continue to be so for some time.
Native D GUI framework of size of GTK/Qt is infeasible.
AFAIK GtkD is usable now, but not sure how D-like its API is, probably
not much?

I'm now pretty much forced to write a simple D game GUI library now
(think CEGUI on a much smaller scale) - I spent some time convincing
my teacher (university) to accept a project in D and now I'll have
to produce something. I don't expect to turn that into something
massive like Gtk/Qt, though.

3 -
That, too is a problem, and I'm saying that as a Vim user.
I think the situation is improving, though, and outside AAA industry
Visual Studio is not quite as dominant. E.g. if we ever get decent
ARM/Android support, an Android dev working with Eclipse/Java might
find it easy to move to Eclipse/D (again, if D is stable enough).

B:

I think D might be able to compete well with C#, but yeah, at the first
sight it looks closer to C++.

As for killer app, yeah, we need that. I'm pretty sure some people on this
newsgroup are trying to work on that.

C:

For a 3D engine, there is YAGE which AFAIK is still developed, but it's in D1.
Not sure what the dev's plans are when D1 gets unsupported.

OIS: Didn't know about this one, will take a look.
Could something similar be built on top of SDL or does it provide more
low-level stuff not supported by SDL?

Audio library - probably not going to happen in a while.

I think we can't realistically expect someone to write an SDL/SFML equivalent
in pure D in the near future. I'd like to look at creating a D-style
SDL wrapper once SDL2 is stable (no point wrapping SDL 1.2, it's pretty
outdated and SDL2 AFAIK drastically changes the API).

D:

As said before, compiler errors are getting rare (at least for me).
Expect to be able to use D in a few months.

E:

I'm pretty sure D has very little chance becoming a language used in
the next generation of consoles - D would have to be stable right now
(and compile on PowerPC and/or ARM) for that to work. Also the AAA
game industry in general already depends on massive amount of C++
middleware they're not going to throw out.

I think, however, that general purpose mobile devices are going to
be more important than consoles in the near future. That market is
still changing and we might get some chance there IF we get usable
ARM support ASAP.

Also, some of the indie PC developers might be more likely
to try out D than the AAA industry - if we get some decent basic libraries.