Biggest Issue with D - Definition and Versioning

Walter Bright newshound2 at digitalmars.com
Mon Jan 16 20:32:40 PST 2012

On 1/16/2012 12:00 AM, Gour wrote:
> Recently I was evaluating one CMS written in one popular Python
> framework and after reporting bug which makes it unusable for even
> simple page layout, hearing nothing from the developer and then seeing
> it's fixed after more than two months, it was not difficult to abandon
> idea to base our sites on such a product.

Your other ideas are well considered, but I have to take issue with this one.

I have submitted many, many bug reports over the decades to Major Software
Vendors with well supported software products.

How many times have I gotten anything other than a robo-reply?

     zero

When my company has paid $ in the 5 figures for "premium" tech service, what is
the response to bug reports?

     nothing

     -- or --

     that's not a bug

     -- or --

     you're a unique snowflake and nobody else has that problem
     so we won't fix it

How many times has a bug I reported ever been fixed, even waiting a year for the
next update?

     zero

I take that back. One time I got so mad about this I contacted the CEO of the
Major Software Vendor (I knew him personally) and he got out a crowbar, went to
see the dev team, and (allegedly) thwacked a few of them. The bug still never
got fixed, but I got an acknowledgment.

This has obviously never impeded anyone from using their software tools.

It's also why:

1. I never bother filing bug reports to Major Software Vendors anymore.

2. With Digital Mars products, anyone can file a bug report with Bugzilla
without needing me to acknowledge or filter it.

3. Anyone can read and comment on those bug reports.

4. I think we've had great success using Github and allowing anyone to fork &
fix & publish.

I know our response to bug reports is far from perfect, but at least we aren't
hiding under a rock.

It's also true that if a company wanted to bet the farm on D, and were willing
to put some money behind it, their concerns would get priority, as full time
professional developers could get hired to do it.