Biggest Issue with D - Definition and Versioning

Gour gour at atmarama.net
Tue Jan 17 02:07:37 PST 2012

On Mon, 16 Jan 2012 20:32:40 -0800
Walter Bright <newshound2 at digitalmars.com> wrote:

> Your other ideas are well considered, but I have to take issue with
> this one.

OK.

> 4. I think we've had great success using Github and allowing anyone
> to fork & fix & publish.

I apologize for my (poor) attempt to illustrate Adrei's "Otherwise, we
must show people that we are serious about finishing the core language
implementation, that we make promises that we are able to keep, and that
we make plans that we follow even in the broadest strokes." and my post
was in no way trying to minimize community work when handling bug
reports. At the end, I never submitted even the single bug report, so it
wouldn't be fair to criticize it.

My example was just meant to show what might be the result when one
feels that developers are not behind their product in a sense that one
'cannot count on the project' which was supposed to be continuation on
my "we always get the feedback it's not safe investment of our time &
energy and it would be better to use something else, either C(++), Java,
Scala, Python etc."

So, I highly admire the work of all members within D community giving
something valuable for free, but being interested in success of D, I
wanted to share my experience I have when trying to advocate using of D
for real (open-source) projects *today*.

I'll try to be more sensitive next time...

Sincerely,
Gour

--
What is night for all beings is the time of awakening
for the self-controlled; and the time of awakening for