Program size, linking matter, and static this()

Martin Nowak dawg at dawgfoto.de
Wed Jan 18 03:59:09 PST 2012

> I'm not an expert in linkers, but my understanding is that linkers
> naturally remove unused object files. That, coupled with dmd's ability
> to break compilation output in many pseudo-object files, would take care
> of the matter. Truth be told, once you link in Object.factory(), bam -
> all classes are linked.

That's strange, because Object.factory should only require TypeInfo_Class
which only indirectly iterates through all modules.
The ModuleInfos do drag in all their classes so what we currently don't get
is a module with only some of it's classes.

What OS are you using? Can you bundle up some files that reproduce this?