Biggest Issue with D - Definition and Versioning

deadalnix deadalnix at gmail.com
Wed Jan 18 12:30:29 PST 2012

Le 17/01/2012 11:52, Walter Bright a écrit :
> On 1/17/2012 2:07 AM, Gour wrote:
>> My example was just meant to show what might be the result when one
>> feels that developers are not behind their product in a sense that one
>> 'cannot count on the project' which was supposed to be continuation on
>> my "we always get the feedback it's not safe investment of our time&
>> energy and it would be better to use something else, either C(++), Java,
>> Scala, Python etc."
>>
>> So, I highly admire the work of all members within D community giving
>> something valuable for free, but being interested in success of D, I
>> wanted to share my experience I have when trying to advocate using of D
>> for real (open-source) projects *today*.
>>
>> I'll try to be more sensitive next time...
>
> I'm not taking issue with sensitivity, just that one is *less* likely to
> get responsive bug fixes from Major Software Vendor, and so dismissing D
> for that reason is invalid.
>
> I've seen people say "D doesn't have feature X, so I'm going to use
> language B." But B doesn't have feature X, either. Again, the reason
> given is invalid.
>
> The real issue is something they're not telling you. The trick is
> finding out the real issue, which can take some insight. Otherwise,
> you'll waste a lot of effort chasing rainbows.
>
> Sometimes, the real issue is "nobody ever got fired for buying IBM." You
> could fix every issue on their list, and you still won't close the deal,
> because you are not IBM. You cannot please everyone, it's better to
> recognize who you *can* close the deal with (there's always someone who
> is not impressed by IBM), and work on their issues rather than the
> rainbows and smokescreens.
>
> That means focus on what we are good at.

Switching has a cost in itself. To trigger change, you don't need to
provide something more, but that is not enough. You need to provide
enough to make the benefit of switching bigger than the cost that comes
with swithing.

And that is only if you are rationnal. If you consider basic psychology,
you'll notice that effect like cognitive dissonance and you'll notice
that things are even worse. This is not fair, I do agree, but this is
the world we live in.

As a last point, I'll mention that using D has obvious drawbacks : lack
of documentation, lack of support, not that many exemple, compiler bugs,
limited IDE integration, limited toolchain, etc . . . So this is
rationnal to choose another language if both have the needed feature.