Biggest Issue with D - Definition and Versioning

Timon Gehr timon.gehr at gmx.ch
Wed Jan 18 12:33:06 PST 2012

On 01/18/2012 09:22 PM, deadalnix wrote:
> To add more to the point, game develloper also face the core language.
> const or even worse shared issues are very important to game devellopers
> (you need a good threading support to code a game engine that exploit
> modern CPU, and to not choke on IO). So core languages feature bugs also
> affect game devellopers.

Much less so than SIMD support. Type system features like const or
shared may help but are not necessary at all for creating an efficient
game engine. (in fact, an efficient engine will maximize parallelism
while keeping concurrency at a minimum.)

But then, I am not a professional game developer. Is there any game
developer frequenting this NG who thinks const/shared are more important
than SIMD?