Biggest Issue with D - Definition and Versioning

bearophile bearophileHUGS at lycos.com
Wed Jan 18 15:52:46 PST 2012

Walter:

> Here's the current list for the upcoming version of D2:

It's an impressive list, as usual :-)

But as I have recently explained (on the base on an old comment of yours) not all bugs are equal. Most bugs in that list are kind of irrelevant to me, they don't hit my code significantly, or often enough. Only few of those bugs are able to change the way I write D2 code, because their presence forces me to use work-arounds, or they forbid me to use certain idioms or certain kinds of code.

This is why I think a little group of those bugs is more important than fixing a hundred of other bugs (on the other hand I understand that other people write code different from mine, so they may find different bugs as more important. But the purpose of Bugzilla voting is right to average such differences in programmers needs).

Fixing this bug improves my experience of using modules:
> 314 - [module] Static, renamed, and selective imports are always public

Fixing this bug allows me to avoid to write many "helper" templates:
> 4675 - [tdpl] Eponymous Template should hide internal names

The recent improvements in byKey and byValue allow me to use associative arrays better and more efficiently.

The improvements of the way const/immutable arrays are giving to functions allow me to use std.algorithm on const arrays, this avoids me to put cast() in many situations, it suddenly makes std.algorithm a notch more useful.

Bye,
bearophile