Biggest Issue with D - Definition and Versioning

Andrei Alexandrescu SeeWebsiteForEmail at erdani.org
Wed Jan 18 16:08:54 PST 2012

On 1/18/12 5:13 PM, Walter Bright wrote:
> Take a look at the changelog. I just don't see how anyone could conclude
> that is not exactly what we are doing. Here's the current list for the
> upcoming version of D2:
[snip]

Great work everybody. Some issues are lateral to the size and might of
the list:

1. There was no plan in place for fixing these bugs vs. others; the
process was rather chaotic, and at least one bug was fixed because one
user took the time to email me a little novel complaining about it.

2. There is no projected date of release.

3. There is no plan going forward, e.g. what bugs will be fixed later.

4. A lot of the important tdpl bugs should have been filed, triaged, and
fixed a long time ago.

5. There's no sense of the "length of the pipeline", i.e. how long it
takes until a given bug is triaged.

Until recently there were enough big issues that it didn't really matter
which were solved - all fruit was low hanging! But at this point we must
get better organized.

Andrei