Biggest Issue with D - Definition and Versioning

Walter Bright newshound2 at digitalmars.com
Wed Jan 18 16:29:23 PST 2012

On 1/18/2012 4:03 PM, Patrick Stewart wrote:
> I am sorry to see many D community projects and libraries dead as they are
> targeted for D1 and not portable to D2, or just locked to specific version of
> D and not transferable to latest version due some bug.

I am sorry about Tango apps being incompatible. I cannot do anything about that.

> I think it is possible for community to make all necessary libraries and
> tools once the D is "carved in stone". I suppose D1 is attempt to do that,
> but not having ready substitute yet (D2 not working as advertised) and D1's
> clock ticking away, it is risky gamble to say at least.

What issue with D2 is blocking you?

> To put it plain and simple, I have strong feeling D development is motivated
> by desire to add latest ideas and features and not by desire to produce
> practical and stable tool.

People often write postings, where in the very same posting, they'll write that
they absolutely must have new feature X now, and that no new features should be
added.

How would you resolve this?