Why the Standard Library

Zachary Lund admin at computerquip.com
Thu Jan 19 10:52:24 PST 2012

I've been wondering in the back of my mind for awhile now and it
really hasn't bothered me much but I figured I might as well get
it off my mind.

Why is there a need for a default "standard" library? I can
understand about some of the core stuff, but hell, even threads
can be handled via a 3rd party library. Why must Phobos or any
library be a part of D itself?

I'm unfamiliar with the reason for C++ having a standard library
as well (which I bring up when people bitch about poor design or
something similar which I usually get no viable or any answer at
all). More of an ignorant question probably but oh well...