Biggest Issue with D - Definition and Versioning

deadalnix deadalnix at gmail.com
Thu Jan 19 12:37:16 PST 2012

Le 19/01/2012 11:11, Walter Bright a écrit :
> On 1/19/2012 2:06 AM, Patrick Stewart wrote:
>> Long story short - I find new things added and premature optimizations
>> The
>> worst enemy of language at the moment. They might look like selling
>> point to
>> you, to me they look like distractions from fixing D's shaking legs and
>> solving some real problems underneath.
>
> Take a look at the D changelog.
>
> https://github.com/D-Programming-Language/d-programming-language.org/blob/master/changelog.dd
>

> I just don't see how it can be argued that we aren't doing exactly what
> you suggest we do.

I know that a lot of bugs are fixed. This is a thing, and this is good.

But another point is that a lot f bugs exists. This point is much more
revelant. It may sound harsh but the only thing that matter is the
result. As computer scientist we all should know that. And the result
for know is a bugguy compiler. No matter how much bugs are fixed in each
release, what is important is how many bugs remains and how severe they are.

And let's face it, if you start to use some advanced feature of D, you
trigger bugs really easily. Workaround exists for most of them, but what
is the point of advanced feature if they always explode on your face ?
And what is the point of D if its features cannot be used safely ?

I would be happy to help, but frankly, I have no clue how dmd works. I'm
pretty sure many people are like me in D community. Maybe a good thing
may be produce some documentation about dmd internal, to reduce the
entry ticket to dmd internals.