Message-Passing

Nathan M. Swan nathanmswan at gmail.com
Thu Jan 19 12:58:24 PST 2012

I want to applaud Sean Kelly and everyone who worked on std.concurrency
for a great API, and wish that I could easily write Cocoa applications
with it.

I'm writing a screen recording program in Objective-C, and to make sure
each frame has an equal length, I have two threads: one that takes the
screenshot at certain intervals, the other that assembles it into a
quicktime movie. After writing an implementation of a thread-safe queue,
where the picture-taking thread adds and the assembling thread removes,
I realized the huge similarity between what I'd done and std.concurrency.

The std.concurrency module would have made hours of effort in ObjC take
five minutes in D. Well done!