Why the Standard Library

F i L witte2008 at gmail.com
Thu Jan 19 15:33:33 PST 2012

> It is in the works:
> https://github.com/schveiguy/phobos/commit/9ee5034f446877b0e78fec608271084d289f6345

Ha! That's awesome. When do you think this update will take
effect?

Derek wrote:
> I thought that the name std.stdio reflected that the module is
> in the standard library (std.) and that the module contains
> standard I/O members rather than extraordinary I/O members,
> which may be contained in another module that is also in the
> standard library.
>
> In other words, the 'std' is not a duplication because it has
> two meanings depending on the context. "std." refers to it
> being in the standard library and "stdio" refers the the
> members *of that module* being standard i/o stuff and not
> special i/o stuff.

Then why isn't "std.math" not "std.stdmath"? Default (or
"standard") libs should have names without qualifiers (seeing as
how they're in the standard library already). Libs with extra or
uncommon utilities should be the ones with naming pre/post
affixes, eg, "std.io" and "std.iospecial".