Invariant and pre/post-conditions order

Jonathan M Davis jmdavisProg at gmx.com
Thu Jan 19 21:14:17 PST 2012

On Thursday, January 19, 2012 21:01:40 Walter Bright wrote:
> Invariants and conditions are allowed to be impure so they can do things
> like logging.

Yeah, but if they're modifying state, they're doing something which is
essentially invalid, so from the standpoint of breaking code, I don't think
that swapping the order invariants and post-conditions is really an issue. I
think that it's just a question of which order makes more sense. If that's
what it is now, then great, we'll leave it as-is. If it's the other way
around, then I very much doubt that it would negatively impact much code (if
any) to swap them, since the order really isn't supposed to matter.

- Jonathan M Davis