wxWidgets good news

bls bizprac at orange.fr
Fri Jan 20 06:10:20 PST 2012

On 01/20/2012 03:24 AM, bls wrote:
> Hi, it seems that the idea of using doxygen xml output to generate D
> bindings was not that bad. I am pretty happy to see that exactly this
> happens in wxWidgets 2.9.4,
> https://github.com/wxWidgets/wxWidgets/blob/master/docs/doxygen/scripts/make_bindings.py
>

> Generating C functional wrappers is already pretty cool, but the
> fantastic news is SWIG output! As you may have noticed, SWIG has D
> support. Means : No need to manually re-create C++ classes in D.
>
> Holy crap.

Random thoughts.
I think the challege will be to create a reasonable message system. The
old WxD projects mimics the MESSAGEMAP() thing. I think a better
solution would be to use wxWidgets connect() and to design a D-ish NET
like message system. The cleanest D implementation I have seen so far is
part of the DGUI project.

SWIG : I think we have to modify :
https://github.com/wxWidgets/wxWidgets/blob/master/docs/doxygen/scripts/swig_tools.py
a bit, in order to enable SWIG to generate D2 code.

Which wxWidget Version ?
IMO at least 2.9x to avoid the UNICODE - non UNICODE stress. Probably
2.9.4 is the best choice (doxygen wise) which will arrive AFAIK in February.

How to setup the project ? just the modified Python scripts and some
docs?  Dunno.

Thoughts ?