byKey and byValue: properties or methods?

Michel Fortin michel.fortin at michelf.com
Fri Jan 20 17:31:38 PST 2012

On 2012-01-20 17:58:28 +0000, Andrei Alexandrescu

> I tallied the votes.
>
> Function: Mail Mantis, bearophile, Jacob Carlborg, Olivier Pisano, Ary
> Manzana, torhu.
>
> Property: Nick Sabalausky, Simen Kjaeraas.
>
> I wasn't able to discern a clear vote from the others. Please correct the list.

Votes ?!?

I think byKey and byValue are oddly named, property or not. Since you
asked, I think they should be properties. But I don't care really. What
I care about is consistency.

Voting on a case by case basis is just nonsensical. What's needed are
guidelines and rationales covering how to name things and by extension
what should and shouldn't be a property. If something needs to be put
to vote, it should be those guidelines.

I attempted a while ago to write some guidelines on the wiki, feel free
to use them if they make sense to you.
<http://prowiki.org/wiki4d/wiki.cgi?DProgrammingGuidelines>

--
Michel Fortin