Message-Passing

Manu turkeyman at gmail.com
Sat Jan 21 10:35:30 PST 2012

On 21 January 2012 18:09, Sean Kelly <sean at invisibleduck.org> wrote:

> I suggest checking out Erlang messaging, as it's the basis for this
> design. Maybe then things will be a bit clearer.

Are you suggesting that erlang is a common language that all programmers
worth their paycheques are familiar with... and would also find intuitive?
I don't know if it's the most sensible API decision to model a design off
something so obscure, unless you suspect that D should appeal primary to
ex-erlang users?

Just to re-iterate, I'm not arguing against the API or it's merits, it's
really cool, just that it shouldn't be the trivial one named receive().
That name should be reserved for the most conventional API.

Seriously?  I usually turn that feature off if I use an IDE that has it.
> Large projects aren't an issue. I've worked on some counted in millions of
> lines of code.

Why even argue this? What's the point in intentionally making D unappealing
to anyone who works in a non-linux professional environment? Do you aim to
alienate those users from the community; keep the community nice and
small...
I honestly don't understand how so many people around here can blindly
consider windows users, and 'IDE users' in general, a niche or minority
user base, and also, what the value of presenting this argument might
actually be?

Who are the majority of professional devs here? What industry do they work
in? Do they, or do they intend to use D in their professional work? What
language are they coming from/using normally in their work? Do they
*really*use vi in the office?
Is there a poll, or some statistics of this sort? I'd be very curious...
because this argument comes up every other day.