[OT] destroy all software (was Programming language WATs)

Jonathan M Davis jmdavisProg at gmx.com
Sat Jan 21 12:04:03 PST 2012

On Saturday, January 21, 2012 19:14:41 Paulo Pinto wrote:
> Am 21.01.2012 04:48, schrieb Adam D. Ruppe:
> > On Saturday, 21 January 2012 at 03:43:50 UTC, Caligo wrote:
> >> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VpZtX32sKVE
> >
> > Oh my, don't get me started on college!
> >
> > I'm so happy I dropped out of that waste.
>
> I guess this is a specific USA issue.
>
> In Europe you will hardly get a programming job as developer if
> you don't have a degree in Computer Science, Electronic, Physics
> or Mathematic applied to computation, just to name a few of the
> common degrees.
>
> At least if you are looking for a company job. In case you would be
> starting your own company then it is a total different matter.

I think that that's frequently the case in the US as well, but it's not
impossible to get a job as long as you have decent programming skills -
especially in a good economy (which wouldnt' be right now) - even if you don't
have a colleg education. And once you have a decent amount of job experience
under your belt, it'll matter a lot less. But there are definitely jobs that
will be closed to you if you don't have a degree - especially early in your
career. I have at least one co-worker who's never gone to college and whose an
extremely good programmer and has been at it for 10 - 15 years now. But
whether that route works and/or is a good idea depends on a lot of factors.
You _will_ do better getting a job if you have a college degree, but it might
be more economical to skip out on college if you can get a reasonable
programming skillset on your own and manage to find work.

- Jonathan M Davis