isize_t?

Manu turkeyman at gmail.com
Sat Jan 21 15:15:36 PST 2012

On 21 January 2012 22:18, Timon Gehr <timon.gehr at gmx.ch> wrote:

> On 01/21/2012 09:06 PM, Alex Rønne Petersen wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> I needed a native-size signed integer type this other day and was just
>> kinda wondering: Why don't we have this in object.di? isize_t or whatever?
>>
>> (I have a feeling this has been asked before, but my search-fu is weak
>> today seemingly...)
>>

> .object.ptrdiff_t

I don't necessarily think ptrdiff_t and signed size_t are the same thing.
Surely size_t should represent the systems native word width? ptrdiff_t
represents the size of a pointer, which is NOT necessarily the same as the
native word width.
There are quite a few 64 bit systems that retain 32bit pointers. I would
thing ssize_t is safer than using ptrdiff_t, and certainly, both should
exist.