isize_t?

Jonathan M Davis jmdavisProg at gmx.com
Sat Jan 21 18:00:34 PST 2012

On Saturday, January 21, 2012 23:07:17 Alex Rønne Petersen wrote:
> On 21-01-2012 23:01, Andrej Mitrovic wrote:
> > This has been discussed before on this NG (I don't have the links to
> > the discussions, sorry!) but additional aliases will not be added.
> > You'll have to use what you have or introduce your own aliases in your
> > code.
>
> Le sigh. Consistent, standardized names would have been really nice.

size_t comes from C/C++, and is exactly the same as it is in C++. In D, you
know that if a type ends in _t, then its size can vary depending on the
machine that you compile on, unlike all of the other primitive types.

Maybe another name would have been better, but it works, and I think that most
people who have been C/C++ programmers just don't care. The know size_t, and
it works.

At this point, given how much code would break from changing it, you would
have to demonstrate that whatever name you came up with was really worth that
cost, I realyl don't think that that's going to happen.

- Jonathan M Davis