Message-Passing

Manu turkeyman at gmail.com
Sat Jan 21 18:14:59 PST 2012

On 22 January 2012 02:42, Sean Kelly <sean at invisibleduck.org> wrote:

> On Jan 21, 2012, at 10:35 AM, Manu <turkeyman at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> On 21 January 2012 18:09, Sean Kelly <sean at invisibleduck.org>
>
> Seriously?  I usually turn that feature off if I use an IDE that has it.
>> Large projects aren't an issue. I've worked on some counted in millions of
>> lines of code.
>>

> Why even argue this? What's the point in intentionally making D
> unappealing to anyone who works in a non-linux professional environment? Do
> you aim to alienate those users from the community; keep the community nice
> and small...
> I honestly don't understand how so many people around here can blindly
> consider windows users, and 'IDE users' in general, a niche or minority
> user base, and also, what the value of presenting this argument might
> actually be?
>

> I wasn't making any sort of argument, I was merely surprised at this
> statement.  Even most of the Java devs I know aren't this reliant on an
> IDE.

Most of the Java devs I know use Eclipse, and quite like the auto-compile
stuff, code completion, and the reasonable quality integrated debugger.
That said, most of the Java devs I know work for Google, who seem to
promote use of Eclipse internally.

Regardless, I'm fairly surprised that you're surprised that there are many
devs that wouldn't bother with a toolchain if it doesn't integrate with
their company's workflow. For most businesses, integration with their
company workflow is basic pre-requisite to consideration for adoption.