[OT] destroy all software (was Programming language WATs)

Tobias Pankrath tobias at pankrath.net
Sun Jan 22 02:24:36 PST 2012

> To slightly modify an old quote: "If you want a plush cubicle hell and
> debt, get a degree. If you want an education, get a library card."

I've learned more in university, than I could have learned myself in the
same time. One obvious reason is, that the structure and presentation of
the content helps. If I'd had to learn computer science by myself directly
after school, I wouldn't have known where to start. Especially my math
lectures where excellent.

I was/am working during all my studies, too. First at Volkswagen,
than at an 120 man SAP Consultant and now at a small company
that verifies embedded systems. I've learned at my jobs things, that
you can't learn in university, but it always was narrowed down to
a very special point of view. University provides a wider view
of CS. I'm glad for this.

That said: I'm studing and living in Germany. I pay 200€ per semester
for the university, where the main part is for a ticket that allows to use
all the public transports in the area. It does not matter, which university
you visit because all are considered equal.

It's kind of said that USA (and internationalisation) is used as example
and excuse to put more crap rules in german universities year by year.