Do we need Win95/98/Me support?

Nick Sabalausky a at a.a
Sun Jan 22 13:14:10 PST 2012

"Walter Bright" <newshound2 at digitalmars.com> wrote in message
news:jfhtgm$195l$1 at digitalmars.com...
> On 1/22/2012 12:57 PM, Nick Sabalausky wrote:
>> "Alex Rønne Petersen"<xtzgzorex at gmail.com>  wrote in message
>> news:jfhppl$121g$1 at digitalmars.com...
>>>
>>> I see absolutely no reason to support an OS that Microsoft does not
>>> support anymore,
>>
>> I don't think that's a good reason, since XP is still extremely relevent
>> despite MS having pulled support. However...
>
> MS still officially supports XP. Just a couple days ago, I got an
> automated update on it from them. I think MS's latest schedule is to
> officially abandon it in 2014.
>
> I think we ought to support things as long as MS officially does. After
> that, I'm game at abandoning official support,

I *really* don't think we should be going purely by that. We still need to
take into account actual users in the wild.

> if for no other reason than not being able to develop/debug/test on those
> platforms.

That makes no sense at all. *Of course* it's perfectly possible to
develop/debug/test on those platforms. Hell, I obtained a copy of 98 and
installed it into a VM just last year. I could easily test/etc on that if I
wanted to.

*THIS* is what's important: 9x has been abandoned by users.