Do we need Win95/98/Me support?

Stewart Gordon smjg_1998 at yahoo.com
Sun Jan 22 16:14:27 PST 2012

On 22/01/2012 23:48, Jonathan M Davis wrote:
<snip>
> It would be insane to not support XP at this point. Not only does XP still
> support it, but there are tons of people who have refused to move on. IIRC,
> Microsoft was effectively forced to support it longer because of the number of
> people (particularly companies) who refused to upgrade. However, I see no
> reason to support anything older than XP.
<snip>

Principle of least surprise.  Somebody compiling for a given target platform should expect
whether it runs on a given version of the platform to be down to the APIs the program
uses, not the language the program is written in.

Moreover, it seems a lot of currently maintained software still claims to support Win2000
- Firefox and OpenOffice for instance.  For a whole programming language, the majority of
whose users will be writing much simpler programs than this, to have higher system
requirements than this seems absurd.

Stewart.