Do we need Win95/98/Me support?

Jonathan M Davis jmdavisProg at gmx.com
Sun Jan 22 21:56:20 PST 2012

On Monday, January 23, 2012 00:31:24 Nick Sabalausky wrote:
> But you know, the really bizarre thing is, *all* MS has to do to win over
> all the XP people (or at least the majority of them) is two simple things:
[snip]

That may help, but it wouldn't be enough. There are companies which refused to
go to XP service pack 3 (and maybe service pack 2 - I don't remember) because
it broke software that they had (particularly software that had to do with
keeping track of what employees did on their computers IIRC). If a service
pack broke that, there's no way that they'd upgrade to Vista or 7.

Also, there are tons of Windows users who see no reason to upgrade. Why
bother? Especially when it costs money? If they get a new computer which has
Windows 7 on it, fine, but they won't upgrade their existing systems. XP works
fine.

And when you consider the IT guys, they frequently want everyone on exactly
the same OS, and they don't want to bother upgrading anyone, so they avoid
upgrading for as long as possible.

Heck, my Dad was ticked with XP for being more of a resource hog than Win2K
and refused to upgrade to XP until he absolutely had to recently because of
issues with Norton. He's certainly not going to mess with Vista or 7 with
their fancy UIs until he absolutely has to. There's nothing that Vista or 7
offers that he considers worth the upgrade.

There are plenty of reasons to not upgrade. I don't think that Microsoft _can_
really do anything to get everyone to upgrade short of refusing to support XP
any longer, which would result in a ton of ticked off customers. Sure, they
could do some stuff to make more people willing to upgrade, but in the long
run, the only thing that's going to get people in general off of XP is the fact
that they won't be able to get it for new computers, so when they get a new
computer, they end up with whatever the newest version of Windows is.

- Jonathan M Davis