Do we need Win95/98/Me support?

Nick Sabalausky a at a.a
Mon Jan 23 02:53:02 PST 2012

"Walter Bright" <newshound2 at digitalmars.com> wrote in message
news:jfjclq$slu$1 at digitalmars.com...
> On 1/23/2012 1:14 AM, Nick Sabalausky wrote:
>> "Walter Bright"<newshound2 at digitalmars.com>  wrote in message
>> news:jfj0ao$3q9$1 at digitalmars.com...
>>>
>>> Another way of looking at it is Phobos should provide snap-together
>>> building blocks, not trivial combinations of them.
>>
>> So whenever there's trivia to be done, it should be cluttering up the
>> *user's* code instead?
>
> It's a very successful strategy used in Unix, which does not have a tool
> for everything, but one can easily construct a tool for everything by
> stringing together components with |

It works in Unix because the building blocks are (mostly) well-designed and
cover all needed use-cases.

I think you'd have a hard time finding a Unix parallel to "Scatter
to!blah(blah) all over your code in every single call to every fucking
standard function that involves a string whenever you want your code to deal
with wstring or dstring instead, or invent your own PhobosPlus on top of
Phobos to paper up all the existing use-case holes." If you did, I'd
probably consider it a blemish where a Unix component screwed up with
modularity.