[OT] "The Condescending UI" (was: Do we need Win95/98/Me support?)

foobar foo at bar.com
Mon Jan 23 03:51:57 PST 2012

On Monday, 23 January 2012 at 10:54:15 UTC, Walter Bright wrote:
> On 1/23/2012 2:22 AM, Nick Sabalausky wrote:
>> Although I disagree with phonetic being *necessarily* better
>> than
>> ideographic. I do agree with the benefits of phonetic you
>> describe -
>> essentially "easier to learn". But the benefit of ideographic
>> is that they
>> can be quicker and easier to use *after* you've learned them.
>
> I find that very difficult to believe. But I don't know Kanji.
>

>> Children and non-native speakers are taught the phonetic
>> alphabets first
>> (hiragana and katakana), because they're easier to learn and
>> can handle any
>> word with a small number of simple symbols. Then learners move
>> on to the
>> ideographic ones (the Chinese kanji). I only ever learned a
>> few kanji, but
>> you notice pretty quickly that once you've learned a kanji you
>> can read it
>> much more quickly than the phonetic equivalent. (It also helps
>> your brain
>> divide a sentence into words, since Japanese doesn't use
>> spaces, but that's
>> not really relevent here).
>
> I've seen the same books written in both Kanji and English. The
> English ones were smaller, significantly so. I suspect the
> problem was the Kanji font had to be considerably larger in
> order to be legible, which negated any compression advantage it
> might have.
>

>> I think a big part of the reason kanji is easier to read (once
>> you've
>> learned it) is that your eyes don't have to move nearly as
>> much, and there's
>> much more visual distinction between words (since there's so
>> many more basic
>> patterns). The fact that they originate from images is
>> irrelevant since they
>> don't really retain much of the resemblance they once did (a
>> few of them do,
>> like "mountain" or "gate", but only if you already know how to
>> "see" it -
>> like being told the "box of kleenex" is a printer). It really
>> is exactly the
>> same as reading "42" instead of "fourty-two". Or the standard
>> VCR-control
>> icons instead of "fast-forward", "next chapter", etc. Totally
>> obscure if you
>> don't already know them, but much quicker and easier to read
>> then the
>> english words if you do.
>>
>> As far as ability to look things up: Other ideographic
>> languages may be
>> different than this (and this certainly doesn't apply to
>> computer icons
>> either), but most of the Japanese kanji (ie, Chinese
>> characters) are
>> constructed from a smaller number of common building blocks,
>> the "radicals"
>> (around 100ish-or-so, IIRC?). As such, there actually is such
> [...]

A few additional points:
# Microsoft allegedly does a lot of usability research and they
came up with the upcoming Metro design which relies on text
instead of icons. # Regarding the English language - Icons are
supposed to be universal so it saves money for companies to
localize their software. Localized UIs do present a trade off in
usability: It depends which terminology is more common, the local
or the foreign (English). E.g. "print" is easy to translate and
would be intuitive for non techies but "bittorent" probably isn't.