Do we need Win95/98/Me support?

Kiith-Sa 42 at theanswer.com
Mon Jan 23 05:54:50 PST 2012

Disable akonadi: alt+f2, start typing akonadi, akonadi
configuration menu will appear, click it, go to akonadi server
configuration tab, press stop at the bottom right. Also uncheck
Use internal MYsQL server. Notification will show that akonadi
has been stopped.

Disable Semantic Desktop:
1)System Settings -> Desktop Search -> Basic Settings, untick
Nepomuk and Strigi

2)System Settings -> Desktop Search -> Desktop Query, untick
“Index files on removable media” and untick every folder
under “Customise index folders…”
3)System Settings -> Desktop Search -> Backup, set “Backup
frequency” to Disable

Disable Notifications:
a: System Settings -> Application and System Notifications ->
Manage Notifications, untick all the “Show me a message in a
popup” under “Desktop Search” and Semantic Desktop”

Note that KDE on Ubuntu has historically been fucked up.
I've had much better experience on OpenSuse.
(not sure why, but a lot of KDE people hate Kubuntu for
giving KDE bad credit)

I'm currently using Kubuntu 11.10 with KDE 4.7 though, and haven't
encountered any bugs - except social desktop, which I disabled
(Kubuntu/KDE4.6 wasn't usable - OpenSuse was)

That said, KDE 4.8 is going to be released in 2 days, and it's
mostly
bugfixes and optimizations. So if you try KDE4 again, I recommend
waiting
for the next round of distros with 4.8 .

KDE plans for 4.9 is also bugfixes, while 5.0 (don't panic)
should be a refactor
without breaking user interface - but they plan to clean up the
APIs (as opposed to 4.0 - where they rewrote everything from
scratch).

I'm not sure if Trinity has enough devs to do anything but
maintain KDE3 comptatibility - MATE seems more promising to me (I
liked Gnome 2 even though
I'm converted to KDE now).