Do we need Win95/98/Me support?

Kagamin spam at here.lot
Tue Jan 24 02:32:03 PST 2012

On Monday, 23 January 2012 at 20:38:21 UTC, Kiith-Sa wrote:
> VDPAU doesn't work with the OSS drivers at the moment - you
> need the binary driver for that.

I was wrong. Seems like the driver installation was so
transparent, I barely noticed anything, at least, bumblebee did
it for me. Though there seems to be no way have vdpau on my
hybrid graphics today.

>> I don't have performance issues, I have high CPU load in idle
>> mode. I'm currently on win7 and the cooler seems to be off, in
>> Ubuntu and Mint the cooler worked at high speed and quite warm
>> air was coming from the radiator.
>
> Weird. Doesn't happen to me on any distro.
>
> That said, did you look at the system monitor?

System monitor reports some weird information for me: it claims
all processes are sleeping and consume 0% CPU yet on the
processors tab it shows constant load of about 10% jumping from
core to core. Anyway, I switched back to Mint and plan to address
my issues on their forum.

> Notice which process is using up the CPU - if it's something in
> Unity,
> then KDE/XFCE/LXDE/whatever can fix your problem. Unity IS a
> resource hog, but it shouldn't cause a permanent load on the
> CPU.
>
> There is a possible cause, but that would be GPU, not CPU load:
> NVidia stated that they don't intend to support Optimus on
> Linux.
> What's worse, if you have an Optimus GPU, it runs on 100% all
> the time even though you're not using it.

It shouldn't produce heat because there's no load on it.
Bumblebee 3 claims to turn off discrete GPU by default an turn it
on only on demand when an application is run with optirun.