[OT] "The Condescending UI" (was: Do we need Win95/98/Me support?)

foobar foo at bar.com
Tue Jan 24 04:26:08 PST 2012

On Tuesday, 24 January 2012 at 07:09:47 UTC, Nick Sabalausky
wrote:
> "foobar" <foo at bar.com> wrote in message
> news:gaeafbliswzwkmitpghj at dfeed.kimsufi.thecybershadow.net...
>>
>> IP can't be evil, it's the basic protocol of the internet ;)
>> seriously though, the term IP is highly misleading and doesn't
>> have a hold in (legal) reality. It's a collection of unrelated
>> laws with separate agendas and purposes: copyright, patent,
>> trademarks. Each individual law *supposed to* make sense, but
>> at a whole they really don't. Yes, it is perfectly legitimate
>> for an author/artist/musician/font creator/etc to want to be
>> paid and they really should be. it is not hover at all
>> legitimate that a book publisher/record company/etc be paid if
>> that business model isn't justified anymore in the market
>> place. Forcing those on the market when they aren't necessary
>> is the true meaning of evil. I also disagree that it's the
>> companies' fault. They simply want to make money. That their
>> purpose. The government is the responsible party to set the
>> rules for corporations and not vice versa and the US
>> government is completely at fault for this huge mess. It's
>> like children setting the rule for their parents.
>
> I'm not entirely convinced that the US gov isn't effectively a
> corporate puppet.

If it is it just proves my point and stuff needs to be done to
change the current circumstances. AFAIK the current situation is
against the spirit if not the letter of the US constitution which
forbids any group from oppressing another (in this case Corporate
America vs. the little guy).

There is this phenomena in the US where some people feel that
they have the right to be ignorant but they ought to realize that
this isn't a core human right and it slowly degrades society in
such a way that they lose all other rights and freedoms. People
should educate themselves and be responsible for their votes and
actually do vote. In my country (Israel) an elections with ~67%
of people voting was the lowest percentage ever and usually it's
closer to 80%. in the USA it's closer to 50%. That isn't even a
majority of the population!

The current situation is directly connected to the ignorance and
lack of caring by the people. After all, a democratic government
comes from the people and represents the people. Clearly, the
citizens of the USA didn't care enough.