Do we need Win95/98/Me support?

Denis Shelomovskij verylonglogin.reg at gmail.com
Tue Jan 24 05:41:11 PST 2012

24.01.2012 2:32, Nick Sabalausky пишет:
> "Andrei Alexandrescu"<SeeWebsiteForEmail at erdani.org>  wrote in message
> news:jfk1r6$2a5j$1 at digitalmars.com...
>> On 1/23/12 3:14 AM, Nick Sabalausky wrote:
>>> "Walter Bright"<newshound2 at digitalmars.com>   wrote in message
>>> news:jfj0ao$3q9$1 at digitalmars.com...

>>> So whenever there's trivia to be done, it should be cluttering up the
>>> *user's* code instead?
>>
>> In this case I think it's reasonable to have the user write
>> read(to!string(filename)). It's simple composition.
>>

> The problem is it's unnecessary composition. But I guess I'm not getting
> anywhere here.

We have a proverb in Russia: "I told him about Thomas (Фому), and he
told me about Erema (Ерёму)!"

So, Walter say that calling `read(to!string(filename))` is easy and
trivial. Yes it is.

Nick say that it's unnecessary composition. Yes it is, it can be done in
library.

So, what is the problem? Nick point is that this composition is a common
case, like reading file content as a string (readText function) and
shouldn't be done by hands every time. Maybe. But one developer (or a
couple) opinion isn't enough to answer this question. A think a voting
is necessary to solve the problem.