D for the web?

Nick Sabalausky a at a.a
Tue Jan 24 17:44:29 PST 2012

"F i L" <witte2008 at gmail.com> wrote in message
news:yfxraaqypcvgjmpicbju at dfeed.kimsufi.thecybershadow.net...
> Nick Sabalausky wrote:
>> Although sometimes I almost want to root for MS though: MS's box model
>> and JS mouse API both prove just how far the W3C has it's head up its
>> ass. I can't help wondering if Google has been pushing for subpar shit
>> just because the better alternative was MS's idea.
>
> ALL of MS's inovations haven't been bad of course, take CSS expressions
> for example. But their cons far outweigh their pros, IMO. IE8, the best IE
> on XP (which is still the dominate web browser/OS), can't properly render
> semi-transparent PNGs with alpha channels.... It's impossible to do any
> kind of visual effects with that limitation and you're left with browser
> conditioning hacks which eat up needless time to write and test. Recently
> they've decided to play ball a bit more (cause they have to) but they will
> never support WebGL which is one of HTML5's best features.

Right, I'm not saying IE is awesome, just that there are *some* things I'd
be rooting for MS on.

Although I just used IE8 the other day and *HATED* it. I hated it much,
*much* more than IE7 (which I avoid using, too). IE8 is "Clippy", converted
from a paper clip to a web browser. It's the same obnoxious Clippy, just in
non-corporeal form. Always deciding it knows better than me. Always getting
in my way for the sake of being "helpful". Ever been around someone who
offered you garbage junk food you nether wanted nor needed...but *would not*
take "no" for an answer no matter how many times or how firmly you declined?
That's IE8.

(I get the impression MS's famed usability lab is forbidden to any users who
aren't never-touched-a-computer grandmothers.)