dmd makefile dependencies

bcs bcs at example.com
Tue Jan 24 20:42:15 PST 2012

On 01/24/2012 05:50 PM, Daniel Murphy wrote:
> I assume you mean the windows one?  dmc is fast enough that recompiling
> takes very little time, especially compared to running the test suites.  So
> long as you don't modify any header files you shouldn't need to recompile
> everything anyway...
>
> iirc Walter's complaint is that the makefiles quickly get out of sync
> anyway, so it's a better habit to use make clean constantly regardless...
>
> "Trass3r"<un at known.com>  wrote in message news:op.v8l3w5s83ncmek at enigma...
>> Is there any makefile guru who could (maybe use some fancy tool to) fix
>> the dependencies?
>> Having to recompile everything for each small change is annoying.

Automate checking it and add that as one of the tests.

I don't know about other people but something better than 80% (might
even be north of 95%) of builds I run give errors (I tend to use
compiler errors as a static analyses tool) and even when things build, I
avoid running more than a few seconds worth of test until I think the
codes correct.

Run a clean build and test every so often (several times per hour) but
MOST builds should be incremental so as to be as fast as can be managed.