automated C++ binding generation.. Booost D, NO , Not us. SIMD is more important.

bls bizprac at orange.fr
Wed Jan 25 08:42:25 PST 2012

I have to say that I am very disappointed regarding the feedback I got
from from my "wxWidgets good news" message.

Here is a historical chance to enhance D's spectrum in a way that has
been pipe-dream just a few month ago and the community feedback is : )
we are busy with optimizing bla bla. well..

Gregor Richards (some will remember) has written BCDGen. BCDGen takes
GCCXML output to generated D bindings from C++.
GCCXML is stalled, and far away from being perfect.

But now that even PHP guys are able to create full blown wxWidgets
bindings based on Doxygen XML Output ..I have to say that is a pity that
we are not able to do the same.

Whats.necessary to use D in order to create C++ bindings ?
1) Let's give up to create a reasonable XML library in D. Instead I
would like to suggest that we wrap libxml2. (pure C) Finally this is
like using the curl lib. And in order to prarse the XML output we have
necessary XPATH support.

2) Let's re-use Gregor's BCDGen, based on a Doxygen's XML output,instead
of GCCXML.

3) Let's create a visual tool (a minimalitic IDE), string templates,
etc. which enable us to create fine tuned D code.

This is indeed NOT  a weekend job. But keep in mind that every C++
library  which is doxygen wise commented, is available for automated D2
binding generation.
Isn't that more important than ...
My2cents
Bjoern