MS extend C++ significantly for Windows8... and Andrei got name drop

Manu turkeyman at gmail.com
Wed Jan 25 13:35:38 PST 2012

On 25 January 2012 21:47, bls <bizprac at orange.fr> wrote:

> On 01/25/2012 07:03 AM, Manu wrote:
>
>> This is fairly interesting. MS have extended their C++ compiler
>> significantly for Windows8 with a bunch of non-standard stuff.
>> FINALLY implement garbage collection, ref counting, properties,
>> delegates, events, generics, etc...
>> If other compilers adopt this tech, D loses some advantages.
>>

> But you still have to fight with ifndef ,forward declaration, and a
> template syntax against common sense.  Even if you paint shit yellow it's
> not necessarily gold.

True, but I think this will mitigate a lot of the motivation Windows devs
have to seek another language if they're not developing cross platform apps.

Sadly, since WinRT requires using these language extensions to interface
with the new windows runtime, you won't be able to write a Windows8 app in
D.
Interestingly though, D supports almost everything they've added to C++. I
wonder if it would be possible to do extern(Windows8) to produce a
compatible ABI for linking with MS C++ apps?

The most interesting features are 'ref new' and 'gcnew', which makes me
wonder, since Windows8 has an OS garbage collector, would it be at all
possible to have D use the Windows8 GC? I'd prefer this to using D's own GC
if it would be supported, and obviously this would be a requirement if D
was going to interact with WinRT properly.
Also, WinRT uses 'ref new' to allocate ref counted (effectively COM to my
understanding) objects. I think I read somewhere that D already has
extern(COM) no? I wonder if Windows8 ref type linkage is already
technically supported in D?