MS extend C++ significantly for Windows8... and Andrei got name drop

Brad Anderson eco at gnuk.net
Wed Jan 25 14:02:38 PST 2012

On Wed, Jan 25, 2012 at 2:38 PM, Manu <turkeyman at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 25 January 2012 23:33, Trass3r <un at known.com> wrote:
>
>>  This is fairly interesting. MS have extended their C++ compiler
>>> significantly for Windows8 with a bunch of non-standard stuff.
>>>

>> Yeah, while refusing to implement most of C++11.
>>

> Good! The C++11 committee should be shot. They've got it completely wrong,
> and MS have it right for my money! :)
> I don't want MORE STL, I want less :)

Herb Sutter (the man speaking in your video) is chairman of the C++
standards committee so it's kind of amusing that the stuff you praise and
the stuff you say is wrong are both led by the same man. Also, he and
Andrei wrote a book together (C++ Coding Standards) so the name drop isn't
entirely unexpected.  They do the C++ and Beyond conference together (with
Scott Meyers).  A large portion of the questions from the attendees I saw
in the Channel 9 videos were about D.

It's kind of sad to see Microsoft doing so much work in interesting areas
with C++ that I won't get to use because it's proprietary (AMP, for
instance).

Regards,
Brad Anderson