[OT] "The Condescending UI" (was: Do we need Win95/98/Me support?)

Nick Sabalausky a at a.a
Wed Jan 25 14:16:19 PST 2012

"Steven Schveighoffer" <schveiguy at yahoo.com> wrote in message
news:op.v8nti0dheav7ka at localhost.localdomain...
> On Wed, 25 Jan 2012 16:31:14 -0500, Nick Sabalausky <a at a.a> wrote:
>
>> "Steven Schveighoffer" <schveiguy at yahoo.com> wrote in message
>> news:op.v8nbixzyeav7ka at localhost.localdomain...
>>>
>>> I must rave about the trackpad on the macbook pro.  The interface is so
>>> damned good, I hate going back to my linux laptop (which I must do for
>>> work).
>>>

>> A good trackpad?!? That seems difficult to believe. Whenever I use a
>> laptop,
>> I just grab/carry-around a trackball (or at least a mouse). I can barely
>> use
>> those touchpad things, and IBM's "clitmouse" is only a little bit better.
>
> It's freaking cool.  The best part is the scrolling.  On my dell laptop, I
> have to use the right side of the touchpad to scroll.  With the track pad,
> I just use 2 fingers, and it scrolls, no matter where I am on the pad.
>
> Click with 2-fingers, and it's a right-click.
>
> There are a bunch of multi touch gestures.  Like 5-finger pinch brings up
> the app launcher (kind of like iPad home screen), 5-finger "explode" shows
> desktop, 4 finger swipe up brings up the window chooser (kind of like
> alt-tab).
>
> It's completely accurate, I haven't yet had it misinterpret how many
> fingers I'm using.  I find that kind of amazing given how shitty touch
> screens used to be.
>
> It is a little unnerving at first, I was thinking "where the fuck are the
> buttons?!"
>
> The only complaint I have is that at the top of the pad, it's very hard to
> click.

But how is just the basic "moving the pointer" compared to other touchpads?
That's the only problem I ever had with them (Well, that and accidentally
"clicking" with my palm while trying to type). The physical buttons always
worked fine for me, I've never been much a fan of gestures anyway.