Windows API and druntime/Phobos

Jonathan M Davis jmdavisProg at gmx.com
Wed Jan 25 15:50:28 PST 2012

On Wednesday, January 25, 2012 20:38:01 Don wrote:
> Please note that the Win32 API project on dsource was created with the
> explicit intention of including it in Phobos. See bug 317.

Good to know. I would point out though that for the most part, std.c has been
being phased out with all of its parts being moved to Phobos, so I'm not sure
that putting the Win32 API bindings in std.c.windows makes sense.

Regardless, my point is that we need to figure out what we want to do at this
point. As it stands, we end up with pull requests such as

https://github.com/D-Programming-Language/druntime/pull/139

which just add more bindings which a particular programmer happens to want.
And while that might be okay in the short term, that doesn't work in the long
term. We need to decide where we want the Win32 API bindings, how we want them
organized more or less, and start putting them there. The Win32 API project is
a great start, but it's been around for years without being moved into
druntime or Phobos, and we should start looking at moving those bindings into
either druntime or Phobos. At this point, given that they're OS bindings, and
the OS bindings have been going in druntime, I would expect them to go into
druntime. But a decision must be made, or the situation won't improve.

- Jonathan M Davis