[OT] "The Condescending UI" (was: Do we need Win95/98/Me support?)

Nick Sabalausky a at a.a
Thu Jan 26 17:36:03 PST 2012

"Sean Kelly" <sean at invisibleduck.org> wrote in message
news:mailman.70.1327626159.25230.digitalmars-d at puremagic.com...
>On Jan 26, 2012, at 2:28 PM, Nick Sabalausky wrote:
>>
>> The Apple key is treated like the control key - You just have to remember
>> that when you'd normally go for Control, on the Mac you'd do Apple
>> instead.
>> I don't remember what the hell the Mac's "Control" key is for. My Option
>> key
>> actually says "Alt" in addition to "Option" (no function key involved b/c
>> this isn't a laptop), so...I think it behaves the same IIRC…?
>
>"control" click on OSX is effectively right-click.  Outside of the console,
>that's about the only use for it, as far as I know.=

Heh, yea. That's something thing I always found funny: Apple always used to
prepackage one-button mice with their right-click-capable OSX machines
because "one-button mice are simpler and easier". But I never understood how
"control-click" qualified as simpler or easier than "right-click".

Even *my mom* isn't confused by existence of the right-button of her mouse,
and she's the type of user who doesn't even know what a "web browser" is,
*and* she doesn't even comprehend "double-click" (She calls it "two clicks"
and doesn't know when to use "one click or two" - hell, she usually just
double-clicks on almost everything). Even *she* isn't confused by second
mouse button or the scroll wheel. And neither is my dad, and he's even
*worse* than she is (as just one small example, he couldn't understand that
he could use his *laptop* without it being plugged in. "It's a portable,
dad, it has a battery. That's the whole point." Explaining it still didn't
seem to help.)