[OT] "The Condescending UI" (was: Do we need Win95/98/Me support?)

Stewart Gordon smjg_1998 at yahoo.com
Thu Jan 26 17:43:06 PST 2012

On 27/01/2012 01:36, Nick Sabalausky wrote:
<snip>
> Heh, yea. That's something thing I always found funny: Apple always used to
> prepackage one-button mice with their right-click-capable OSX machines
> because "one-button mice are simpler and easier". But I never understood how
> "control-click" qualified as simpler or easier than "right-click".
<snip>

A one-button mouse _is_ simpler than a mouse with three buttons and a scroll wheel.

OTOH, _using_ a one-button mouse is neither simpler nor easier....

(The IT manager of my uni department back in the day told me (probably speculatively) that
the reason for fewer buttons is "less to go wrong".)

Stewart.