[OT] "The Condescending UI" (was: Do we need Win95/98/Me support?)

Nick Sabalausky a at a.a
Thu Jan 26 18:01:24 PST 2012

"Nick Sabalausky" <a at a.a> wrote in message
news:jft09p$160q$1 at digitalmars.com...
> "Stewart Gordon" <smjg_1998 at yahoo.com> wrote in message
> news:jfsuc5$12pl$1 at digitalmars.com...
>>
>> I've been reminded of the iMac G3 that I was made to use for some of my
>> time as a PhD student.  Just the backspace key, no delete key.  And no Fn
>> key to make some of the keys double as different keys - those keys they
>> felt people could live without they just left off.
>>

> That's really one of the main reasons I don't consider Apple to be good at
> design: Anytime they notice that something isn't *needed* by *all* users,
> they just throw out instead of leaving it as an option. They seem to feel
> that personal customization and preferences are an "evil" that infringes
> on the uniformity of their brand image (Which also explains their love for
> DRM and gatekeeping).

To clarify, I don't mean "DRM" in the sense of music/videos or
game-industry-rootkits. I mean in terms of using it to artificially limit
what users are able/allowed to do with their own devices.