automated C++ binding generation.. Booost D, NO , Not us. SIMD is more important.

Gour gour at atmarama.net
Fri Jan 27 03:00:57 PST 2012

On Fri, 27 Jan 2012 10:29:43 +0100
Andrej Mitrovic <andrej.mitrovich at gmail.com> wrote:

> I appreciate the enthusiasm, but I think it should be toned down a
> bit. At this stage this work is pretty insignificant compared to all
> the work on e.g. improving DMD.

I'm aware that the folks working on improving/fixing DMD is doing
terrific job, but in one sense this is kind of work that new D user
could take as granted based on the premise that 'it should just work as
described in e.g. TDPL'.

Otoh, your work is extending usability of D to be used for writing
real-world GUI applications and we cannot say how many people may
abandon the idea to use D just by seeing the present state of many
half-baked GUI bindings *before* even stumbling upon some DMD bugs.

Let's not forget that today the language itself does not mean much
without 'batteries included' and the whole ecosystem inckluding
IDE/editors suppor, build systems etc.

So, I would not minimize the fact to get
stable/actively_developed/easily_maintained bindings for native
multi-platform GUI toolkit. ;)

Sincerely,
Gour

--
All living bodies subsist on food grains, which are produced
from rains. Rains are produced by performance of yajña [sacrifice],