Windows API and druntime/Phobos

Vladimir Panteleev vladimir at thecybershadow.net
Fri Jan 27 12:37:03 PST 2012

On Friday, 27 January 2012 at 18:16:38 UTC, Kagamin wrote:
> On Wednesday, 25 January 2012 at 19:27:47 UTC, Vladimir
> Panteleev wrote:
>> I support putting all public domain modules from the Win32
>> bindings project into Druntime.
>>
>> The entirety of the Windows API modules (headers in C) and
>> accompanying import libraries are an integral part of The
>> Windows SDK.
>
> Public domain? PSDK is not public domain. Isn't "Microsoft &
> public domain" an oxymoron?

The files in the Windows API bindings project are translations
from the MinGW headers, which were created based on the
documentation (which explains the occasional errors). The MinGW
headers are public domain. Considering that MinGW is not an
obscure project, I think we're on safe legal ground here.